Embutido( Filipino-Style Meatloaf) Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon muscovado sugar or brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 4 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2 eggs beaten
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Hard boiled eggs
- Hot dogs or Vienna sausages left whole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the sugar and soy sauce in a small bowl, stir until sugar dissolves, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the pork, beef and vegetables. Add the beaten eggs, the soy and sugar, and the black pepper to the meat mixture and stir until everything is well-combined (mixing with your hands is best for this).
- Evenly divide the meat mixture between two sheets of aluminum foil about 15-inches long. Spread the meat into a rectangle (about 10×6 inches) in the middle of the foil, and then place filling (hard boiled eggs, hot dogs and/or Vienna Sausages) in the center of the meat:
- Using the foil, tightly roll the meat over the filling and into a log shape. Twist the ends of the foil closed, ensuring the meat is tightly packed.
- Place the rolled meat onto a cookie sheet (it may be helpful to line the cookie sheet with more foil, as the meat will leak fat and juices), then place in the oven for 1 hour to 1hour 15 minutes. You can also check for doneness (160 degrees F. is good) by sticking an instant-read thermometer through the foil and into the meat–just make sure the thermometer is stuck in all meat rather than in an egg or sausage, otherwise you’ll get a false reading.
- Allow the meat to cool in the foil before unwrapping. Once meat is cool, unrwrap and slice. Serve with white rice, or enjoy leftovers in some Pan de sal for a Pinoy Meatloaf Sandwich.