Chicken curry is a dish that is so famous all over the world. There are also a lot of variations of this dish, and one of those is the Filipino style. Basically, chicken curry is just like the dish, “ginataang manok” but there are additional ingredients like potato, carrots, etc. One thing that makes Filipino style chicken curry differ from the rest of the curry recipes is that, in this dish, lots of vegetables are being mixed up with the chicken. Curry powder here, as the main ingredient is a kind of spice that gives the totality of the flavor of dish, so make it a big deal in choosing the powder that you will use. There is a lot of curry powder that you can choose from. They vary on the intensity of hotness or spiciness.
But on this dish, you just have to buy the one that is readily available on the supermarket or the one that is most common, the standard curry powder. This curry powder has a lot of health benefits. As a matter of fact it can help in blood sugar control, cholesterol management, detoxification and it also has anti cancer benefits. Aside from the curry powder, you must also take note of the coconut milk that you are going to use. Be sure that it is from freshly grated coconut, but if you don’t have time to grate coconut, you can just buy canned coconut milk. On cooking the chicken, be sure that it is already tender when you take it off the heat. So that’s it, enjoy your cooking!
- 1 kilo chicken
- 2 medium sized potatoes, chopped
- 1 big carrot, sliced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, cut into 2 inches length
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 thumb ginger, cut into strips
- 1 cup water
- Cut the chicken into pieces. Leave the chicken bone-in. If you prefer boneless chicken meat, then de-bone the chicken.
- Heat up a deep pot and add the oil.
- Fry the potato and carrots for 2 minutes and set aside.
- Sauté Chicken together with garlic, onion and ginger.
- When garlic is light brown in color add fish sauce, and curry powder
- Stir well then add water then cover the pot and lower the heat to medium and simmer until the chicken is tender.
- Once the chicken is cooked add the red bell pepper, celery, carrot and potato then simmer for 5 minutes
- Add the coconut milk and mix well. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice.