You might have stumbled upon our lumpiang ubod recipe. Well, this lumpiang sariwa recipe is not that much different. Actually, lumpiang ubod is a variation of lumpiang sariwa. From the name itself, “sariwa” or fresh, lumpiang sariwa is a Filipino version of spring rolls or fresh eggrolls. It is a vegetable dish of different vegetables wrapped with a soft wrapper or that crepe called lumpia wrapper. The dish is not fried and is commonly garnished with sweet sauce and crushed peanuts.
Lumpia is Chinese-inspired delicacy that can be an easy pick for picnics or other occasions. The early Filipinos learned this cuisine, which is derived from the original Chinese popiah, from the Chinese traders. The Filipino lumpiang sariwa is similar to the Indonesian lumpia basah or wet spring roll. A variety of this dish can be found not just around Asia, but even in the Netherlands, Belgium, and France.
In this recipe, pork, shrimp, and tofu are added into the fresh burst oof vegetables, such as carrots string beans, kamote, kinchay, and cabbage. You will also have the chance of doing your own lumpia wrapper. However, if you find it time-consuming or you are not in the mood to do those crepes, you may purchase that ready-to-use lumpia wrapper available at the supermarket.
Ready? Happy cooking!
- ¼ kilo pork liempo, boiled and sliced
- ½ kilo shrimp, shelled
- 2 squares tokwa ( tofu ), cubed
- ½ cabbage, medium – sized, shredded
- 1 cup string beans, sliced diagonally Carrot, cut into thin strips
- Kinchay, cut lengthwise, half inch Kamote, medium – sized, cut into thin strips
- Lettuce leaves 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 onion, sliced 1 garlic, crushed
- Peanust, finely chopped ( for garnishing ) For lumpia wrappers:
- 1 egg, lightly beaten ½ cup water
- ¼ cup cornstarch Dash of salt
- Oil to grease frying pan
- For sauce:
- 1 cup brown sugar /Water /Cornstarch /Soy sauce
- Soy sauce to taste
- Saute garlic and onions. Add pork and shrimp.
- When pork and shrimp are slightly cooked, add tufo.
- Add carrots, string beans, kamote, then kinchay and cabbage. Do not overcook.
- Season to taste. Cool before wrapping.
- To make lumpia wrapper: Mix egg, water, cornstarch and salt thoroughly until smooth. used spatula to lift crepe.
- To make sauce: Dissolve cornstarch in water , soy sauce and sugar stir to become melted.
- To make lumpia: Put 2 -3 tbsp of filling in lumpia wrapper. Roll wrapper and seal wrapper. Serve with sauce and finely chopped peanuts.