- 1 whole chicken
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch spring onion stalks
- 2 pcs. bay leaves
- 1-2 tbsp. fish sauce
- oil for deep frying
- parsley for garnish
For the gravy:
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ½ cup stock from steamer
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp.. soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rub chicken with a generous amount of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add spring onion stalks, bay leaves and fish sauce to water in a steamer. Steam chicken for about 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken to cool down and rub a little more fish sauce all over.
- Heat enough oil in a wok. Deep-fry chicken for 5-8 minutes until golden. Scoop out and drain on paper towels. Let stand for a few minutes before chopping and serving.
- Make roux in a pan, then add stock slowly while whisking.
- Add soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce, season with salt and pepper to adjust the seasoning.
- Serve with chicken and garnish with parsley.