Frosted Mint Chocolate Double Layer Cake Recipe
- 2 cups spelt or whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups stolidity or sugar of choice
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips optional
- 2/3 cup yogurt of choice such as Whole-soy
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure peppermint extract
- 2 prepared batches of: Healthy Mint Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and grease two 8-in round cake pans.
- Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt, optional chips, and sweetener, and stir very well. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients (except frosting).
- Pour wet into dry and stir until just combined, then divide between the cake pans. Bake 25 minutes or until batter has risen and a toothpick in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool at least 10 minutes before going around the sides with a knife and inverting the cakes.
- Frost one layer, stack the cakes, then refrigerate 30 minutes before frosting the entire cake.
- This cake is best if frosted right before serving. Due to the lack of preservatives in the frosting, leftovers are best stored in the refrigerator