Did you have enough salad last holiday season? If not, here is a recipe that is just right for you-frozen fruit salad! Not your normal salad, you might say. But it is of the same goodness!
Fruit salad is a common Filipino dessert. You will normally see it during fiestas or birthdays but most notably during Christmas season. This dish consists of different kinds of fruits, usually hold together by the all-purpose cream and condensed milk. However, it can also be served without any dressing, just the fruits. This salad can be an appetizer, a side salad, or a dessert. A moderately sweet version consisting mainly of apples, grapes, and walnuts in a bed of lettuce is called Waldorf salad. The sweeter version is ambrosia, which contains canned or fresh pineapples, mandarin orange, marshmallows, and coconuts. It can also have cherries, bananas, strawberries, and other fruits. The same with Waldorf salad, this version can also be dressed with mayonnaise. Other recipes would also use the fruit’s own juice or syrup.
What are the fruits that can be put in a salad recipe? Well, anything that you want and you can avail of. Nevertheless, the common ingredients are strawberries, pineapple, honeydew, watermelon, grapes, apple, and kiwifruit. Nuts and lettuce are also common. When it comes to dressing, mayonnaise is not your only option. Yogurt, even mustard, can also be used.
Now, how about the Filipino version? As sweet-toothed people, you know that ours are extra sweet. Our recipe calls for a can of condensed milk, together with all-purpose cream. We can rarely see fresh fruits in our sweet salad, except for buko meat. Canned fruit or fruit cocktail is a common option. This recipe here says it is frozen? Yes! It is the best way to enjoy this dessert! We also added broas or ladyfinger, a sweet sponge biscuit made of egg, for extra texture. What are you waiting for? Try this recipe now!
- 24 pc Broas
- 1 pc Green Apple (diced with peel)
- 10 pc Grapes (halved)
- 1 can (300 ml) Condensed Milk (for fruit mixture)
- 1 pack (250 ml) All-Purpose Cream (for fruit mixture)
- 1 cup Mayonnaise (for fruit mixture)
- ¼ tsp Iodized Fine Salt (for fruit mixture)
- 1 can (432 grams) Del Monte Fiesta Fruit Cocktail (drained, reserve syrup)
- In a bowl, combine DEL MONTE Fiesta Fruit Cocktail with apples and grapes, then mix thoroughly. Set aside.
- Using 8’x12″ pan, arrange half of broas to cover bottom of pan. Drizzle with half of fruit cocktail syrup and half of fruit mixture.
- Do the same with the remaining broas, syrup and fruits. Cover and freeze overnight.