Fruit Shortcake Recipe
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch dissolved in reserved syrup
- 1 tsp Lemon Zest grated
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour for cake
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder double acting, for cake
- ½ tsp Iodized Fine Salt for cake
- 3 tbsp Brown Sugar for cake
- 2 tsp Sugar for cake
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter cold, cut into bits, for cake
- ⅔ cup Milk for cake
- 2 tbsp Unsalted Butter melted, for cake
- 1 pack 250 ml All-Purpose Cream (chilled, for topping)
- 2 tbsp Confectioner’s Sugar for topping
- 3 tbsp Sour Cream for topping
- 1 can 832 grams Del Monte Fiesta Fruit Cocktail (drained, reserve 2 tbsp syrup)
- Preheat oven at 425ºF. Grease a 9” round pan or cookie sheet. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add sugars and butter. Blend using fork, until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add milk and mix just to combine. Spread on pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes. Split shortcake horizontally and spread both cut surfaces with butter. Or if using cookie sheet, cut into desired shape. Set aside.
- Heat cornstarch until thicken. Add sugar and DEL MONTE Fiesta Fruit Cocktail. Heat for 2 minutes. Let cool then add lemon zest. Set aside.
- Whip cream with sugar until fluffy. Add sour cream. Whip few minutes more.
- Spread cream over bottom half and top of cake. Spread fruit cocktail mixture on both cakes, and then assemble. Slice and serve.
- Makes 12 servings