Giant Meatballs With Tomato, Chili, And Anchovy Sauce Recipe
- 500g pork mince
- 500g veal mince
- 2 tbs. Ricotta
- 1 eggs
- ¼ cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 handfuls of fresh bread crumbs
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 cloves garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 6 cubes firm mozzarella, 3cm x 3cm
- tomato sauce:
- 2 tbs. Olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 1 chilli finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 x 700 ml tomato passata (tomato puree)
- 6 basil leaves, torn
- freshly ground salt and pepper
- to make the sauce: heat the oil in a large heavy based saucepan (that can go in the oven).
- On medium low heat, fry the onion, garlic, anchovies and chilli until soft. Add the white wine and cook off for 5 minutes. Now add the crushed tomatoes, the passata and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and then turn down to a low heat simmer for 30 minutes. Now add the basil.
- Preheat the oven to 200?C.
- For the meatballs:
- mix the veal and pork mince with ricotta, egg, parmesan, bread crumbs, parsley, thyme, tomato paste and the garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Combine well with your hands.
- Form the mixture into large balls (size of a tennis ball). Pierce the meatball with the mozzarella and ensure you seal well with the meat. Place meatballs on to a tray and bake in the oven and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, add the meatballs to the sauce, and place back into the oven and cook for another 35 minutes at 180?C.
- Serve with a little freshly grated parmesan.