You don’t need to go to KFC and have a taste of such kind of gravy. Here, discover a mouth-watering home-made gravy by following the cooking instructions.
KFC gravy is becoming a standard. People are craving for such kind of sauce, hence many are trying to imitate or even just get close to that gravy recipe by whipping up their own ingredients. Well, fastfood-lovers must really know the difference of that taste. However, going to KFC to just have their gravy almost every day will cost you a lot. Why not have your own version and even be more creative in making one?
Gravy is a sauce that is often made from the juices that run naturally during cooking and often thickened with wheat flour or cornstarch for added texture. The gravy may be further coloured and flavoured with gravy salt (a simple mix of salt and caramel food colouring) or gravy browning (gravy salt dissolved in water) or ready-made cubes and powders can be used as a substitute for natural meat or vegetable extracts. Nowadays, canned gravies are already available. Different types of gravy are now know, such as chocolate gravy, egg gravy, giblet gravy, mushroom gravy, onion gravy, and cream gravy among others.
Want to give this a recipe try? This can work well with your chicken, less the cost and hassle of going to a fastfood near your area. Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons butter or vegetable shortening
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 piece chicken cube or 2 teaspoons chicken powder
- 1 piece beef cube or 2 teaspoons beef powder
- 2¼ cups water
- Dilute the beef and chicken cubes in water.
- Heat a saucepan and put-in the butter. Let the butter melt under low heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and cook in low heat while continuously stirring for 7 to 8 minutes or until the color turns medium brown. There is a tendency that the flour might burn when overcooked or if high heat is applied. Be extra cautious.
- Add the remaining flour and continue stirring.
- Gradually add the chicken and beef broth (the result of procedure 1) while stirring. Continuous stirring is needed to prevent lumps from forming.
- Put the heat to medium and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes more while stirring once in a while until the texture thickens.
- Serve hot with fried chicken or mashed potato.
- Share and enjoy!