Now this recipe is definitely one to bring out plenty of childhood memories and thoughts of home. The ubiquitous fast food chain Jollibee is known for bringing tasty and affordable treats to Filipinos everywhere. But its most famous and popular item is its fried chicken—Chickenjoy is always very crunchy and crisp on the outside, while surprisingly tender and moist on the inside, with a hint of herbiness thanks to the garlic and five spice powder that keeps your taste buds from getting tired of it. Sure, Jollibee is expanding to other countries now, but if you’re curious about replicating this nostalgic favorite and have time in the kitchen, why not modify your usual fried chicken recipe and try this one? It’s bound to have you coming back for more than one piece—with something this crunchy and addictive to eat, how can you say no?
Image Source here
Homemade Jollibee Chicken Joy Recipe
- 2 kilos chicken your choice cuts
- salt and pepper
- cooking oil for deep frying
- For the breading:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. five spice powder or ngohiong powder
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. fine salt adjust if necessary
- Put the chicken pieces in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Rub and press each chicken with the salt and pepper so all the pieces is evenly coated.
- Next, to make the breading, in a mixing bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, five spice powder, garlic powder and salt.
- Stir the dry ingredients using a fork until all the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Heat the oil in the deep fryer or deep frying pan for about 175°C.
- Coat a piece of chicken with the breading inside and out. Coat underneath the skin as well.
- Do it by pressing each chicken with the breading then shake off excess breading and fry it.
- Depending on the size of your fryer and the size of your chicken, you can put 4 to 5 pieces per batch.
- Just don’t overcrowd the fryer to avoid the fried chicken to become soggy and loose it’s crispiness.
- Cook it for about 15 to 20 minutes in medium fire.
- Put the chicken in a paper towel or a rack to drain the excess oil.
- Serve with your favorite gravy. Enjoy!