How to Make Cassava Carioca
- 3 pcs large cassava or 4 pcs medium cassava
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- cooking oil, for deep-frying
- Peel off the cassava’s skin.
- Grate the cassava. You should get about 2 cups of grated cassava.
- Wash the cassava with water then drain it using your clean hands and a strainer.
- Transfer the grated cassava to a mixing bowl.
- Add the salt and white sugar. Mix well.
- Get about 1 tbsp of the mixture then roll into a ball using your clean palms. Repeat until all the mixture is consumed.
- Deep-fry the carioca balls. When the carioca balls turn slightly brown add the brown sugar.
- Mix continuously until all the balls are coated with caramelized sugar.
- Remove from the pan then drain excess oil.
- Serve as is, or skewer 3 to 4 balls into a bamboo stick if desired.