Thinking for your snack today? Why not go cheesy? Cheese sticks!
Cheese sticks are Filipino appetizers made with cheese wrapped in spring roll wrapper and deep-fried until golden and crisp. This snack is different from the common Mozarella sticks in the US, which are elongated pieces of battered or breaded mozzarella. Cheese stick recipe is as easy as 1-2-3. Slice the cheese, stuff it in the lumpia wrapper, and fry it. Easy, right? Just make sure that the wrappers are tight as possible to prevent the cheese from leaking. Also, the oil should be so hot to make your sticks brown and crispy even before the cheese would melt. For the sauce, sweet and spicy sauce is commonly used, but you can make your own, depending on your preference. Cheese sticks can also be prepared in advance or be stored before use by ensuring that they are well-refrigerated.
- 2 pcs eggs
- 1 bar cheese (165g)
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- cooking oil, for deep-frying
- Freeze cheese until firm so it can be sliced easily.
- Slice the cheese into sticks about 3 inches long. The thickness is up to you. Set aside when done. (Tip: Dip the knife to hot water so the cheese won’t stick to it while slicing.)
- Crack the eggs then put into a mixing bowl. Add ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper. Beat the eggs.
- Mix the remaining salt and pepper to the flour.
- Breading: Align the plates/bowls containing the flour mixture, beaten eggs, and bread crumbs. Coat 1 pc of cheese stick with the flour mixture. Next, dip it to the beaten eggs. Next, coat it with bread crumbs. Dip it again to the beaten eggs. Lastly, coat it again with bread crumbs. Repeat these breading steps for the remaining cheese sticks.
- Heat cooking oil in a pan in medium fire.
- Deep-fry the breaded cheese sticks until golden brown in color.
- Drain excess oil using strainer or tissue paper.
- Serve while hot with mayo-ketchup dipping sauce. Enjoy your cheese sticks!
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More