When you want it all Filipino style, Panlasang Pinoy Recipes will give it to you. Here is another Pinoy favorite that you will crave for-ensaladang talong!
In Spanish, ensalada means salad. Talong is the Tagalog term for eggplant, the spongy, absorbent fruit from the night shade family Solanaceae. It is called aubergine in the united Kingdom and brinjal in South Asia and South Africa. It comes it different forms. Some cultivars have egg-shaped and purple color; others are white and longer in shape. When the fruit is cut, its flesh suddenly becomes brown. That is why you could probably remember your mom with a bowl of water (with salt dissolved in it) ready when cooking eggplant. Sliced eggplants are dipped into that water to prevent discoloration.
Although this vegetable has low macronutrient and micronutrient contents, it is still a favorite when it comes to cooking. It is easy to find and cook. This recipe here is about a very simple Filipino salad using talong. It is a commonly prepared side dish, as well as food for potluck parties. In addition to vinegar, the main ingredients of this dish are just three-eggplant, tomatoes, and onions. Chili pepper is added for an extra kick. This recipe is easy. The only challenging part is peeling the grilled eggplants. Have you tried peeling them for your mom before? You must have been so messy afterwards. But that is where the fun is, right?
So what dishes can go well with this salad? A lot! Especially inihaw or grilled and fried dishes, such as lechon kawali or fried pork belly and fish. You can even eat it as is. This very Pinoy salad is for you to enjoy. Try this ensaladang talong recipe now!
How to Make Ensaladang Talong
- 3 pcs eggplant
- 2 pcs medium tomatoes chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion minced
- 1 pc finger chili pepper sliced
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar you can also use white vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Grill the eggplant then peel off the skin and cut the stems.
- In a mixing bowl, lightly mash the eggplant using a fork. (You can use two forks to make this process easier)
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, onion, chili pepper, sugar, apple cider vinegar, and olive oil. Mix well.
- Serve with your favorite grilled or fried dish. Enjoy your ensaladang talong!