For the leche flan layer:
1/2 cup brown sugar (for the caramel)
8 egg yolks
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup condensed milk
1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
For the ube layer:
3/4 cup ube halaya
3 whole eggs
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp iodized salt
Make the caramel:
1. Let the brown sugar caramelize in a cake pan over medium heat. Swirl the pan to distribute evenly. Set aside.
Make the leche flan layer:
2. Separate egg yolks from egg whites. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Put some calamansi peels to the egg yolks in order to remove the stench from them.
3. Add the white sugar, condensed milk, and evaporated milk. Mix well then set aside.
Make the ube layer:
4. In another mixing bowl, put the eggs then beat.
5. Add the white sugar and vegetable oil. Mix well.
6. Add the ube halaya then mix well. We recommend to use electric hand mixer for this step.
7. Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well then set aside.
Combining the mixtures:
8. Pour the leche flan mixture to the cake pan with caramel. Don’t forget to filter out the calamansi peels by using a strainer.
9. Pour the ube mixture over the leche flan mixture. Distribute the mixture evenly by using a spoon or spatula.
10. Cover the cake pan with aluminum foil. Put in the steamer.
11. Steam for 50 minutes or test if a toothpick will come out clean of the ube layer.
12. Remove the cake pan from the steamer. Put the serving dish on top of it then flip upside down so that if you remove the cake pan the caramel will be on top.
13. Get a slice then serve. Enjoy your leche ube steamed cake!
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More