Bring class to your everyday breakfast with this Monte Cristo sandwich (Pinoy style)! This is a new treat from Panlasang Pinoy Recipes!
It maybe a fresh sound to you, but this recipe is actually not something new. If you have been into French toast, then you will surely like this one too. This is simply a combination of French toast and ham and cheese sandwich. Two-in-one goodness it is! It is a kind of sandwich that is more of savory than sweet. Originally, it is dipped wholly into an egg batter and pan fried. Nowadays, it can be deep fried and even grilled. In this recipe, it will be pan fried after dipping in an egg batter with milk. Sometimes, there is a variation of being batter-dipped and deep-fried that is being served. In addition to the usual ham and cheese, turkey or chicken meat can also be placed in its layers. This sandwich can also be covered with powdered sugar. Maple syrup or preserve also goes well with it. Potato chips can also be served with it if desired. Also, a classic version of it should have jelly as side dish to dip it in. You will just find this sandwich very easy to pair with other food.
What came to mind when you first read or heard the name Monte Cristo sandwich? Did you think of the Count of Monte Cristo? How did it get the name? This sandwich is believed to evolve from the French sandwich, the Croque Monsieur. It was invented around 1910, and it is traditionally made with ham between two pieces of brioche-like bread, topped with Gruyere and baked. Another fun fact. Do you know that even Disneyland made its contributions to this known sandwich? It can be found on their menu at the Blue Bayou and Tahitian Terrace restaurants in New Orleans’s Square in Disneyland.
Are you ready to bring this fusion on your table? Yum!
How to Make Monte Cristo Sandwich (Pinoy-Style)
- 3 slices white bread
- 2 slices ham cooked
- 2 pcs eggs
- 6 tbsp cheese grated
- 3 tsp plain mayonnaise
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp butter
- 5 tsp evaporated milk
- Remove the crust of each white bread.
- Spread mayo on each slice of bread.
- Spread grated cheese on each slice of bread.
- Make a 3 layer sandwich by putting a slice of ham in between the slices of bread.
- Apply some pressure to the sandwich using a spatula or back of a spoon. This is to flatten and make the sandwich intact. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, evaporated milk, and salt. Mix well.
- Brush the mixture on top, bottom, and sides of the sandwich.
- In a pan, melt the butter.
- Fry the sandwich until top and bottom part is golden brown. Toss some melted butter on the sides.
- Remove from heat. Slice the sandwich into two.
- Serve with your favorite drink. Enjoy your Monte Cristo sandwich!