How to Make Yema Spread
- 1 can 300ml condensed milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- pinch of iodized salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pc calamansi juiced
- Heat a pan in low fire. (It’s best to use a non-stick pan)
- Add the sugar and let it caramelize. Do not stir until it caramelizes completely. Just swirl the pan.
- Add the butter and let it melt.
- Add the condensed milk. Cook while continuously stirring. You will notice the caramel will get hard but it’s okay it will melt later on.
- After 5 minutes, add the egg yolk, salt, vanilla, and calamansi juice. Cook for another 5 minutes while continuously stirring to avoid burning of the mixture.
- After 5 minutes, adjust to medium heat. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes while stirring faster. For a total of 15 minutes the yema spread is done. Turn off the heat and let it cool.
- Prepare the container for the yema spread. Sterilize an empty glass jar into boiling water for 10 minutes. This process will make the shelf life of yema spread longer.
- Transfer the yema spread to the sterilized jar and place the cap.
- Serve with your favorite bread and enjoy your yema spread!