Kare Kare With Ox Tail, The Ultimate Filipino Comfort Food Recipe
October 24, 2016
- 4 lbs beef oxtail, cleaned and skinned, cut 1 ½ inch thick
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 1 cup Skippy creamy peanut butter
- 1 eggplant, sliced diagonally into ½ inch thickness
- 1 stalk of green beans, cut 2 inch
- water from soaked achuete (annatto seeds), for coloring
- bagoong (shrimp paste), for dipping
- Put oxtail in an 8-quart pressure cooker and pour water until meat is fully submerged. Water should be approx 2 inches above the meat. Mix in ¼ cup fish sauce and stir to distribute fish sauce equally.
- Before closing the pressure cooker lid, let the water boil for 2 minutes. Remove the excess fat that surfaces to the top of the water. Cover and pressure cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Let steam escape before opening pressure cooker lid. Once opened, take out the meat from broth and put aside.
- Transfer the broth into a container and put aside.
- Using broth, boil eggplant and green beans for 15 minutes. Remove water and set aside vegetables.
- Saute garlic and onion in pressure cooker. Add 2 tablespoon fish sauce and let it simmer for 1 minute. Add ¼ cup of water from annatto seeds for a yellow to orange color.
- Add 16 cups of beef broth to the saute mixture and let it boil slightly. Mix in 1 cup of peanut butter. Lower heat and stir until peanut butter has been dissolved into the beef broth. Depending on desired consistency, add more peanut butter to thicken or more beef broth to make the sauce thinner. Let it boil for another 4-5 minutes in very low heat, stirring continuously to avoid burning.
- Serve meat portion with sauce in a deep platter or serving bowl. Garnish with eggplant and green beans on the side or on top.
- Best served with steamed rice and bagoong on the side.
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More