Kare-Kare (Pork) Recipe
- 800 g pork hock
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2-3 tablespoons annatto (achuete) powder
- ¼ cup peanuts (roasted or raw), ground
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 -3 cups pork broth
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- fish sauce, to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- string beans (sitaw), sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 1-2 medium pieces eggplant, sliced into 2-inch pieces
- bok choy (pechay)
- bagoong, to serve
- Put pork hock in a large pot and fill it with water until level with the pork. Bring to boil over medium high heat until pork is tender. Take pork hock out and reserve the broth.
- Heat a deep frying pan or sauce pan over medium heat, add oil and when oil is hot enough, add garlic and onion and cook until fragrant, add annatto powder and ground peanuts and cook for about a minute or two
- Add pork broth, about 3 cups, season with fish sauce, bring to a boil then add cooked pork hock. Cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add peanut butter and stir, adjust consistency to your liking; add string beans and eggplant. Cover again and cook for about 3 minutes, then add bok choy, cover and let simmer for just a minute. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve with rice and sauteed bagoong on the side.
Check Out Our Recommended Products for you!
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More