Lechon Kawali (Pan-Roasted Pork) is my mom’s favorite Filipino food dish. When I have a time to cook back then, she’ll request me to make some. She even asked the recipe so that whenever she craves for it, she can cook lechon kawali (pan-roasted pork) by herself.
- 1-1/2 lb. pork liempo(pork belly), cut into serving pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tsp. pepper or 1 tsp. peppercorns
- 2 tbsp. salt
- water, for boiling
- oil, for frying
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
2-1/2 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- chili peppers (optional)
- Put pork pieces in a big pot. Cover with water. Add garlic, pepper or peppercorns and salt.
- Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for an hour or until meat is tender. Drain.
- Deep-fry liempo pieces in batches until golden brown and blisters appear on skin.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Mix together all ingredients for the sauce.
- Serve with chopped lechon kawali.