We go from traditional Filipino recipe to something that is more of American type. Lemon square. There is another cupcake brand of the same name in the Philippines, but this one here is different. Want to know more about this recipe?
Lemon square is a kind of dessert bar, which is also called simply as bar or square. This bar is a type of “bar cookie” with the texture of a firm cake or softer that usual cookie. It is prepared in a pan and then baked in the oven. Afterwards, the cookie bars are cut into squares or rectangles. Not all Filipino households have oven in their house. So if you have one, maybe you can serve them with this delicious treat. the same with the other recipes, this may be a good start for you.
Such kind of bar is commonly found in bake sales; it is also used in fundraising by children. It is usually made for birthday parties and other gatherings. Nowadays, many bakeries and coffee shops are offering these desserts. In addition to common ingredients, such as sugar, eggs, butter, and milk, other ingredients (including chocolate chips, nuts, cracker, marshmallow, and peanut butter) can be used according to preference. They come in different flavors, not just lemon ones. Other bars include peanut butter bars, chocolate coconut bars, apple bars, cheesecake bars, pineapple bar, and almond bars.
How about lemon squares? What makes them different from the other types. If you love something sweet but tangy, then this dessert bar is for you. It is sweet, tangy, and buttery, all-in-one. If you are not fond of sweets, you can make the topping tangy as you want. These bars are refreshing. Try using this recipe. It can fit any occasion and any weather. You can bake it any time.
- 3 cups (385 g) all purpose flour
- 1½ cups (185 g) powdered sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 1½ cups (350 g) butter, melted
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
Lemon Curd Topping
- 6 eggs, whole
- 1½ – 2 cups (200 – 300 g) white sugar
- ½ – ⅔ cup (120 – 155 ml) fresh lemon juice (from about 4 lemons)
- zest from 3 lemons
- ½ cup (65 g) all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- Combine flour, powdered sugar and salt in a bowl. Add melted butter and vanilla extract. You will get a soft dough.
- Transfer the dough into 9 x 13 inch baking pan lined with baking paper.Bake for 15 minutes at 350 F (175 C). Take out of the oven.
- In the meantime, mix whole eggs together with sugar until fluffy.
- Add lemon juice and lemon zest and mix some more until sugar starts dissolving.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix just until incorporated. Pour over hot shortbread crust and return to the oven. Bake for about 35-45 minutes more or until set in the middle. Cool completely, cut and serve dusted with powdered sugar.
Recipe Source here
Image Source here
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More