Want an easy snack or party dish? Try this simple macaroni salad recipe.
Macaroni salad, similar to spaghetti, is typically served during fiestas or any celebration, such as family outings and picnic. This variety of dry pasta salad has been adapted by Filipinos from the westerners. From the tidbits of chicken and cheese and raisins, macaroni salad has now its Filipino version of flavors.
Macaroni originated from Italy and can be straight or curved, in which case it is frequently called elbow macaroni. Aside from the usual elbow macaroni, other types of short cut pasta can also be used, such as penne, rotini, and mostaccioli.
Generally, Filipino-style macaroni salad uses chicken, which should be boiled and shredded, as well as carrots, raisins, cubed cheese, and pickles. Sometimes, one would find pineapple bits and hams in it, depending on the preference of that who prepared. The elbow macaroni is cooked al dente and drained. All ingredients are then combined in a mixing bowl. Commonly served chilled, this macaroni salad can be creamy, cheesy, meaty or a combination of the three. Easy, right? As ingredients can be prepared beforehand, such dish will be good for instant get-together and potluck.
Here, try this light macaroni salad that fits those who opted for simply less ingredients.
Macaroni Salad Recipe
- 1 cup raw macaroni pasta cooked al dente
- 9 ounces chicken tenders boiled and diced or chopped into small pieces or diced
- 1 small fuji apples diced
- 1 cup crushed pineapple drained well
- 1/2 cup cheese diced or grated
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise this is a very small amount for this kind of dish, feel free to add more if you think the salad is too dry or you can add a little milk instead
- salt and white pepper to taste
- optional : add about 1/2 cup cooked shrimp; peeled and deveined
- In a big bowl, combine everything and toss gently until well combine, taste it; adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Cover the bowl or transfer into a covered container and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Serve and enjoy your chicken macaroni salad!