Craving for a creamy and delicious snack? Try this tasty maja blanca recipe.
Primarily made from coconut, maja blanca is a Filipino dessert that has the consistency of thick gelatine and a delicate flavour, and is creamy white in colour. As the name implies, this coconut pudding is of Spanish origin that is adapted from the traditional holiday dessert manjor blanco, thus it is related to other similar desserts such as blancmange, which means “white delicacy” in French.
The dessert is relatively easy to prepare. A coconut milk and cornstarch mixture is generally heated to boiling over a low flame while stirring. Continuous stirring prevents lumping of the mixture. Modified versions of this recipe added corn kernels, milk, and sugar to the mixture. Once the mixture thickens, it is then poured into serving dishes previously greased with coconut oil and allowed to cool. Often refrigerated and served cold to improve texture, maja blanca is commonly topped with latik. However, most of the current recipes garnished it with grated cheese.
Various adaptations of this dessert now exist. Other ingredients are used, such as kalabasa or squash, whereas other version uses butter, thus resulting in a distinct yellow colour. Maja de ube, which uses ube or purple yam is one adaptation that is now popular.
Maja Blanca Recipe
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 4 cups fresh milk
- 1 cup sweet kernel corn
- 1 cup cheese shredded
- 7 tbsp white sugar
- 1 cup cornstarch diluted in 1 cup water
- 1 cup cheese shredded (for toppings)
- On a deep pan or pot over medium heat, add the coconut milk, fresh milk, and shredded cheese. Stir well.
- Add the sweet kernel corn and white sugar. Stir well then bring to a boil. Adjust to low heat when it boils.
- Slowly add the diluted cornstarch while stirring continuously.
- Stir vigorously until the mixture reaches your desired thickness.
- Transfer to a serving container. Flatten the top by wiggling the container and by using a spatula.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Allow to cool down then chill for at least 1 hour.
- Serve and enjoy your maja blanca!