- 500 g beef brisket, cut into two-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 whole onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 pcs star anise
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 250 grams egg noodles
- 1 cup spring onions, chopped
- 1 cup Chinese pechay
- In a pot, put the sesame oil.
- Pan sear the beef brisket for a minute.
- Add the garlic, onions, and ginger.
- Pour the rice wine, soy sauce, and beef broth.
- Add the star anise, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until tender.
- When beef is cooked, add the brown sugar.
- Add the noodles.
- Add the Chinese pechay and simmer until the vegetables are cook.
- Garnish with spring onions.
FOR TOASTED/ FRIED SIOPAO:
- For the dough:
1 kg all-purpose flour
- 1 cup baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Warm water as needed
- 1/2 kg ground pork
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsps hoisin sauce
- Salted eggs, quartered
- Chorizo, sliced
FOR THE DOUGH:
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and sugar.
- Gently add warm water.
- Knead to make a dough and set aside.
FOR THE SIOPAO FILLING:
- Combine the ingredients for the filling.
- Take about two tablespoons of the mixture and roll into a ball.
- Repeat the steps.
- Take the dough depending on the size of siopao you want to make.
- Fill with the prepared filling and a quarter of the salted eggs and a slice of chorizo.
- Steam siopao for 10-15 minutes.
- Add siopao to the skillet, setting them on their flat bottoms.
- Pan fry for about three minutes until the bottoms turn brown.
- Add about 1/4 cup water to the pan and quickly cover with lid.
- Turn the heat to low and steam for about four minutes.