Meatballs are a perfect appetizer at parties, easily complemented by sweet and sour sauce or ketchup thanks to its slightly crisp, savory richness of baked ground beef or pork, which readily absorbs other flavors for contrast. But if you’re looking for something tasty to prepare for a weekend meal, you may want to switch it up with something more mellow and herby which is sure to be a hit even with fussy eaters in the family. This recipe makes use of a creamy, sophisticated white sauce with mushrooms and white wine for depth, and the added beef broth is a perfect complement to the mixture of well-browned meat, dill and onion—with as much hot sauce as you like, just to add a little bit of zing to each bite. It’s definitely a crowd-pleaser that won’t take long to make, though with the richness of that sauce, you’d think otherwise!
- Homemade Mushroom Gravy (see the recipes)
- 400 grams ground (pork or beef)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 small white onion (dice)
- 2 cloves garlic (dice)
- 2 tbsp flour
- Oil for frying
- Season the ground pork with salt, pepper, chopped garlic, chopped onion and flour. Mix well
- Shape into balls then fry into heated oil until golden brown.
- Served with Homemade Mushroom Gravy. Enjoy