Mini Fruit Tart Crust:
- 70g butter
- ½ of an egg
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- ¾ cup plain flour
- a pinch of salt
Mini Fruit Tart Custard Filling:
- 250ml full cream milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 tbsp. corn flour
- ½ tsp. vanilla
Mini Fruit Tart Glaze and Fruit Toppings:
- 1 fresh Kiwi, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup sm. fresh Strawberries, washed
- ½ cup sm. fresh Grapes, seedless and washed
- ½ cup fresh Papaya, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup orange marmalade.
- 1 tbsp. hot water
To make a Tart Crust:
- In a bowl mix sifted flour, icing sugar, salt, butter and egg until it becomes a dough and knead.
- Sprinkle some flour to your working area and knead it to form a ball and wrap in a cling film.
- Refrigerate the dough for about 25 to 30 minutes or until it is workable state.
- When the dough is ready knead on a floured surface and cut into 12 portions.
- Press dough on prepared tins and prick with fork. Refrigerate and let it rest for another 20 minutes before baking.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C (350F), for about 15-18 minutes or until lightly brown.
- Let it cool down completely before removing to avoid breaking the crust.
To make the Custard Filling:
- Heat the milk in a saucepan just until boils then fire off.
- In a bowl whisk egg yolks and sugar until smooth, then add vanilla extract.
- Add sifted flour and corn flour and whisk to combine.
- Add the hot milk, pour a quarter part to temper the egg mixture and whisk vigorously.
- Pour the remaining warm milk and stir constantly.
- Place custard mixture into a saucepan and heat over a low fire.
- Whisk constantly to avoid lumps and stir until thickens.
- Fire off and let it cool completely.
- In a small bowl place a strainer and put a half cup of marmalade and pour a tablespoon of hot water and sieve together, discard any bits.
Finally to assemble the mini Fruit Tarts:
- Prepare the cooled tart crust, glaze, custard filling and fresh sliced fruits.
- Brush bottom and sides of tart crust lightly with glaze.
- Fill tart crust with custard mixture full and decorate with fresh fruit slices.
- Lastly, brush fruits and custard with glaze to avoid from scorching and oxidizing. Refrigerate for 10 minutes more, to firm up a little bit and ready to serve.