New England roast turkey with chestnuts and fruit Recipe
- 2 cups fresh or canned chestnuts
- 6 quince or 3 tart apples
- 1 small lemon
- 1/4 pound butter
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup hard apple cider or apple
- 1 cup fresh chicken or turkey
- 3 tablespoons applejack or calvados
- 12 pound turkey
- 1/4 lb butter
- If using fresh chestnuts, heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- With a small, sharp knife, cut a slit in each fresh chestnut, spread in a shallow baking pan, and roast for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Peel off both outer and inner skins while still warm.
- If they cool and become difficult to peel, reheat.
- Peel and core quince and cut into 1 inch chunks.
- Squeeze 1 tablespoon lemon juice over quince and toss.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in a large frying pan.
- Add chestnuts and quince and saute over low heat until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ciders and stock, bring to a simmer and reduce liquid to about 1/2 cup, about 20 minutes.
- Add applejack or Calvados and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in remaining 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Chestnut and fruit mixture can be made a day ahead.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Rub the turkey with the butter and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Put turkey on a rack in a roasting pan and roast in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat 325 degrees F and cook turkey, basting often, until internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F, about 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Allow approximately 20 minutes a pound for roasting.
- Gently reheat chestnut and fruit mixture.
- Carve turkey and serve with chestnuts and fruit on the side.
Check Out Our Recommended Products for you!
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More