This is one amazing chicken recipe that you will surely want to try! Nikuklok na manok is here to stun your dinner table!
You have probably tried cooking a lot of chicken recipes. You had tinola on Monday, adobo last Tuesday, afritada for Wednesday, fried chicken on Thursday, and the list goes on! We just have a lot of recipes for chicken. A current trend is having it roasted. Many stalls now offer roasted chicken, ready for eating. Varieties also come in with chicken sisig on the go. These kinds of dishes are perfect for those who do not have the time to cook after work or when you are so lazy to prepare a meal.
However, if you want something local, then we suggest that you try this nikuklok na manok recipe. Yeah, we know that it is a bit difficult to pronounce. Little is known about this dish, but there are restaurants in Tarlac that offer this on their menu. Are you familiar with pinaupong manok? If you would look at the procedures of this dish here, it is like that. Pinaupong manok or seated chicken is cooked in a pan with salt in its base. It is like baking and steaming your chicken at the same time. The salt does not just sit there as bedding; it acts as an insulator and even emits steam that helps cook the chicken. There is no water used here. The flavor will come from the seasonings that you will rub on the chicken and from its own oil that you may see dripping while cooking. So please do not forget to rub your seasoning on it. Or you may even opt to marinate the chicken prior to cooking. Yum, yum!
Ready your pot. This will be a good dish, we assure you. Enjoy!
- 1 pc whole chicken
- 5 cups rock salt
- 1 tsp iodized salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 whole red onion
- 1 stalk of leek, white part only
- 3 tbsps soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Wash chicken thoroughly.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.
- Mix the dry rub ingredients in a bowl: Salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper.
- Rub this all over the chicken.
- Stuff the chicken with onions and leeks.
- Put the rock salt in a deep frying pan.
- Make sure the bed of salt is at least two inches deep.
- Place the chicken on its back, on top of the bed of salt.
- Cover pan and cook over low- medium heat for 1 and 1/2 hours.
- Serve with the dipping sauce made of soy sauce and the juice of lemon.