TO MARINATE THE BEEF:
- 12 oz. flank steak
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1/8 teaspoon five spice powder
- 1 teaspoon orange marmalade
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda (optional tenderizer)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup of beef stock
- 1 tablespoon shaoxing wine
- 1 tablespoon light soy
- 1 teaspoon dark soy
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 7 whole dried red chili peppers
- 5 small pieces dried Mandarin orange or tangerine peel
- 1 star anise
- 1 clove minced garlic
- ½ cup sliced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Slice the beef into 2 to 3-inch pieces, each about a 1/2 inch thick.
- Place the beef between layers of plastic wrap and whack them with a rolling pin until about ¼ inch thick.
- Combine 2 teaspoons oil, five spice powder, orange marmalade, salt, baking soda and cornstarch and marinate the beef in the mixture. Next, dredge the beef in the flour.
- Blanch the broccoli for about 20 seconds and rinse in cold water. Drain and set aside. Mix a tablespoon of cornstarch with a tablespoon of water and set that aside as well.
- In another bowl, stir together beef stock, wine, light and dark soy, salt, sugar, and white pepper. Next, heat the wok over high heat until smoking slightly.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to coat the wok and sear the slices of beef for a minute on each side. Remove the beef from the wok.
- Reheat the wok over medium heat and add another tablespoon of oil, dried hot chili peppers, orange peels and the star anise. Allow the aromatics to infuse the oil for a minute and add your minced garlic and bell peppers.
- Quickly, pour in the stock mixture and allow it to come to a boil. Slowly add your cornstarch slurry until the sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon.
- Add the orange zest, beef and the blanched broccoli florets and toss well until everything is coated.
- Add more stock if the mixture is too thick and add more cornstarch slurry of the sauce is too thin.
- Plate and serve over rice!
Recipe Source here