Pancake is one well-loved breakfast meal worldwide, especially in America. However, it can be served any time of the day with the kind of toppings you want. If you are looking for an easy way to prepare it, Panlasang Pinoy Recipes has it for you!
This flat cake is commonly known as hotcake in the Philippines. It is more available as a merienda in rural areas than as a breakfast option. You will see stalls selling this in the afternoon, complete with sugar and margarine. This is also a student merienda in schools! Pancake is prepared from a starch-based batter that may contain eggs, milk, and butter. It is cooked on a hot surface, such as a griddle or frying pan. You can use either oil or butter when frying. You also have to make sure to use low fire when cooking to avoid burning it.
This flat cake may be often seen as thin and round, but its shape and structure may vary according to the country you are in. Have you seen one resembling a crepe? That is very common in England. There is also one that has a lacelike network of fine bubbles, and it is of French origin. With regard to flavor, in Uganda, it is locally made with bananas. In Asia, banana pancakes are also the most common in Western-oriented backpackers’ cafe. But do you know that it can be savory too? Yes, in China, it is either savory or sweet, and they use dough rather than batter.
We may have learned enough already. It is time to cook your own version of this cake. Even if you are not confident with your cooking skills, you can surely ace this one! Wait, do not forget to serve it with good toppings! Jam, syrup, chocolate, butter, cheese cream, fresh fruits. You can have it the way you want it. Enjoy!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten well
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- butter or oil to grease frying pan
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a bowl to make a smooth batter.
- Heat frying pan over low fire, and brush some butter or oil evenly on it. pour some batter on the frying pan. (To prevent batter from sticking use a wooden spoon when mixing or pouring uit.)
- Move the pan around to create a nice round shape for the pancake.
- Fry batter over low heat, When bubbles appear on the surface, turn the pancake over, Fry until both sides are golden brown.
- Serve with syrup, jam, or butter.