- 500g cara beef (uncut,brisket)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 medium-sized onion,minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 piece beef cube
- 2 pieces star anise
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 tbsp scallions or green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup slurry (optional)
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup of luke warm water
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup of shortening
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of white sugar
- wax paper
- Pour the water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Put-in the carabeef and then boil until the meat is tender (about 3-4 hours)
- When the meat is tender, remove from the pot and allow to cool. Reserve the stock.
- Slice the boiled meat in cubes and set aside.
- Place the oil in a pan then heat-up. Saute the onion, garlic, and ginger.
- Put-in the sliced meat and saute for about 2 to 3 minutes
- Add the soy sauce , 1 cup of stock, and star anise. Stir and then bring to a boil.
- Put-in the sugar. Stir.
- Add spring onions, salt and ground black pepper. Stir and then simmer until the sauce thickens, add slurry if needed.
- Set aside
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in luke warm water, add salt, sugar and 2 ½ cups of all-purpose flour.
- Beat thoroughly until you have the consistency of a soft sponge.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes.
- .Add shortening. Mix well, then add the remaining ½ cup of all-purpose flour.
- Knead until smooth.
- On a flat surface, dust surface with flour and roll the dough to form a 2 inch roll.
- Cut dough with a knife into 2×2 inch pieces.
- .Place on a tray, line with wax paper, and dust with flour.
- Roll each piece into a ball and lay the onto a flat surface then dust with flour.
- .Using a rolling pin, flatten the dough.
- Spoon about one spoonful of pares filling onto the center of the dough.
- Pull edges of the dough together and twist together to secure.
- Using wax paper cut in 4×4 inch pieces, place buns upside down.
- Steam siopao for about 25 minutes and serve.