I can still remember the taste of the Pininyahang Manok that my fiance had prepared for us during his vacation in our hometown. I can say that it was one of the best. It’s not because he’s my fiance but it was because the dish is absolutely delicious!
Pininyahang Manok is just a simple type of dish but absolutely tasty and yummy.It is made with chicken, garlic, onion, pineapple chunks and pepper. Other variations of the Pininyahang Manok is that the use of coconut cream instead of milk, or all-purpose cream (nestle cream).
What I liked a lot about it is that it is healthy because of the pineapple which is a source of fiber. Aside from it, it has carrots which is also rich in antioxidant beta-carotene that gives the carrots their bright orange in color. Beta-carotene is absorbed in the intestine and converted into vitamin A during digestion. It also contains fiber, vitamin K, potassium, folate, manganese, phosphorous, magnesium, vitamin E and zinc.
Pininyahang Manok is almost similar to chicken curry that uses milk or coconut milk but the difference between the two is that in Pininyahang Manok it uses of course the pineapple chunks. The better result of cooking it will be depending on the time how much you spend to cook it.
Here are the tips that will help to cook this delicious type of dish the Pininyahang Manok. Just simply follow these and you’ll see the amazing taste of it.
Pininyahang Manok Recipe
- 2 lbs. chicken, cut into serving portions
- 12 ounces pineapple chunks
- 2 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 medium sized onion, sliced
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, cut into thick strips
- 1 medium sized carrot, wedged
- 21/2 tbsp. fish sauce (patis)
- ½ cup fresh milk
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- Marinate the chicken in pineapple juice for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Pour the cooking oil in a cooking pot then apply heat.
- Sauté the garlic, onion, and tomatoes.
- Put in the chicken and cook until it become light brown.
- Add the pineapple juice marinade and fresh milk then bring to a boil.
- Add the pineapple chunks and simmer for about 20 to 30 mins. until the chicken is tender.
- Put in the carrots and bell pepper and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the fish sauce (patis) then simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the cooking pot and transfer to a serving dish.
- Serve hot and enjoy!