Looks like you are looking for a great morning start. Here is a recipe that will keep you going through your day-potato salad!
Although it is generally considered a side dish because it is commonly served with the main course, this salad is good for those who want to have a heavy but quick breakfast. It is made from boiled potatoes and added with other ingredients, such as mayonnaise. They said that the original recipe is not that colorful. It simply contains potatoes and the dressing. However, this recipe has extra colors to make it more attractive, especially to kids. Yellow mustard, sweet pickle relish, celery, and green onions are added. There are also diced hard-boiled eggs. Other recipes also include raisins, apples, and some nuts. This salad is normally served cold or at room temperature.
So how is this potato dish as a breakfast option? Have you also tried it before? Although it is not very common among Filipino households, some moms now have this dish ready for their little ones for breakfast or snacks. What is in a potato that we can probably have it for breakfast? Can it give you the nutrients you need?
Potatoes ranked the fourth most consumed crop in the world, next to rice, wheat, and corn. They are low in calories. A medium-sized one contains only 110 calories. They are also rich in potassium and phytonutrients, such as carotenoids and flavonoids, which can promote health. There is also vitamin C in your potatoes! It acts as an antioxidant, preventing or delaying cell damage.
Although you are probably more familiar with mashed potato mixed with butter or that sour cream-flavored deep fried fries, maybe you could give this recipe a try. This is so easy to do! No sweat at all! If you have kids, you can even involve them in peeling the eggs or in mixing the ingredients. Just do not let them handle a knife please.
Ready, set, cook! Enjoy!
Potato Salad Recipe
- 6 large potatoes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard or yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 2 raw eggs
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch paprika optional
- Peel the potatoes, and them cut them in half (you can leave the skins on if you wish). Place them in a pot of boiling water and boil for about 17 minutes or until a fork penetrates through fairly easily. Do not make them too mushy. In the mean time, boil the eggs in separate pot.
- Allow the eggs and potatoes to cool completely. You can set aside them in the fridge to cool them down faster.
- When they are cool, slice the potatoes into bite size pieces. Peel and dice the hard boiled eggs.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, pickle relish, mustard, salt and pepper. Mix them until well combined.
- Add in the potatoes, celery, and a pinch of paprika. Mix until well incorporated. Adjust the seasoning according to taste. Set aside in a fridge to chill for about 2 hours or so.
- Serve the potato salad with your favorite main dish and enjoy!