- 11/2 lb salmon cut into 4 pieces, skin and bones removed
- 1 small sized onion, minced
- 1 small sized red bell pepper, diced ¼ inch thick
- 4 medium cloves garlic pressed
- 1 tbsp = ½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 15-oz can black beans, drained
- 11/2 tbsp red chili powder
- about 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce, outer leaves discarded
- 1 medium avocado, cut into cubes
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped mint
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped basil
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped pumpkin seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season salmon with a little salt and pepper, Set aside while you chop and sauté vegetables.
- Mince onions and press garlic and let sit for at least 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp broth in a 10-12 inch stainless steel skillet.
When broth begins to steam add onion, bell pepper and garlic and sauté on medium heat for about 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add ½ cup broth, drained beans and red chili powder. Cook for another 10 minutes. * Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- While beans are cooling, preheat broiler. Place a stainless steel or cast iron skillet large enough for holding the salmon under the heat to get it hot. This takes about 10 minutes.
- In a bowl mix together cilantro, mint basil, lemon juice, olive oil, pumpkin seeds, salt and pepper,
- Place salmon in the hot pan and return to broiler about 5 inches from the heat source for best results. Broil salmon for about 7 minutes for medium doneness, Serve salmon, beans lettuce and avocado together on a plate. Top salmon and lettuce with cilantro.