Want to learn how to cook that known pig’s face pulutan? Try this sisig recipe and enjoy the party!
Sisig is widely known among Filipinos, not just as an appetizer or a pulutan (accompaniment to alcoholic drinks), but as a main dish. The Kapampangan term “sisig” means “to snack on something sour”, which usually refers to fruit, often unripe or half-ripe, sometimes dipped in salt and vinegar. The term could also be the method of preparing fish and meat, which is marinated in a sour liquid, such as lemon juice or vinegar, then seasoned with salt, pepper, and other spices. This dish here, sisig, is a Filipino dish made from parts of pig’s head and liver, which is usually seasoned with calamansi and chili peppers.
Preparing sisig involves boiling of the head to remove hairs and tenderize it, and broiling or grilling of some portions. Chopped onions are added as being served on a sizzling plate. Throughout the years, variations exist, which added eggs, liver, and mayonnaise among others.
This delicacy originated from Pampanga; Lucia Cunanan of Angeles City invented it. Currently, Angeles City is known as the “Sisig Capital of the Philippines”. Annually, “Sisig Festival” is being held in the city during the month of December to celebrate this dish.
So, want to cook your own sisig? Try the recipe below and maybe you can be part of this year’s sisig cooking competition in the festival. Enjoy!
- ½ kilo Pork Face ( boiled and grilled)
- 1 pc red chili (labuyo)
- 1 pc green chili
- 2 pcs calamansi
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 pc red onion ( dice)
- 1 small white onion
- 1 tbsp margarine or butter
- 2 tbsp knorr seasoning liquid
- 1 pc egg
- 1 pc red bell pepper ( optional)
- Water for boiling
- Charcoal for grilling
- Boiled the pork with salt, pepper and garlic until soft.
- After boiling , grilled it and cut into small dice.
- Heat the sizzling plate , add butter and saute the red bell pepper, white onion until the fragrances of bell pepper comes out.
- Add the grilled diced pork and turn the heat into low.
- Season with knorr seasoning and add the chillies, top with red onion and egg.
- Garnish with mayonnaise and calamansi.
- Serve and Enjoy!