- 500g lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 white onion, minced
- 1 bulb garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, minced
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 tbsps parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 100g mozzarella, grated/thinly sliced
- To make the burgers, combine the ground beef, egg, salt, paprika, pepper, garlic, onion, carrots, and celery in a large bowl and mix well. Divide the mixture into 10 even-sized balls. Take one of the balls and flatten it in your hand to form a flat patty, place 1/4 of the mozzarella in the middle of the patty and top with another ball.
- Flatten the ball with your other hand and crimp the edges of the two patties together to seal the cheese inside. Place the patties on a greased tray and place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- When the patties have been chilled, fry in a hot frying pan for 4-5 minutes per side (or until cooked to your liking). Serve the patties on hot rice with caramelized onions and brown gravy sauce.
Brown Gravy Sauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour, all-purpose
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 liter beef broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for five minutes, until the mixture is golden-brown. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Whisk in a cup of the cold beef broth, and then add the rest of the ingredients, except the salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer, whisking, and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste, and season with salt and pepper.