We,Filipinos do love cooking and it’s in our blood already that we try something new to our taste buds. It’s really more fun in the Philippines! We love to experiment something unusual but delicious that will surely love by many like Goto.
Goto is similar to confer where rice is also boiled in prolonged time. Usually it is paired with a side dish called “Tokwa’t Baboy”,a dish is made out of steamed pork’s ears and fried tofu soaked in a soy sauce and vinegar. Goto can be usually seen in and considered as a street foods wherein you will notice this in food stall. It has various meats together with ox tripe and lots of garlic.
Then the opportunity is now given to you so make one and you can also do it on your very own way!
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 1 tbsp kasubha turmeric, as needed
- 5 heads garlic, crushed and minced
- 3 large onions, peeled and finelly chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, crushed and julienned
- 1 piece medium-size onion, chopped
- 1/2 chicken, any part, cut into serving pieces
- 1/2 kilo beef tripe / goto, boiled
- 150 grams shiitake mushroom, boiled and sliced
- 3-5 eggs, boiled, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups water
- 2 tbsp fish sauce (patis)
- 1 piece chicken bouillon cube
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup malagkit or glutinous rice
- 5 stalks spring onion, minced (for garnishing)
- 2 stalks leeks, sliced vertically the white part
- 4 cloves garlic, minced and toasted (for garnishing)
- Wash the malagkit or glutinous rice with running water and drain. Set aside. Heat a large heavy pot/pan. Swirl in cooking oil, kasubha and turmeric, then saute the ginger, garlic, and onion.
- Cook until aromatic. Add the sliced beef tripe or goto, chicken, shiitake mushroom. Cook for about 3 minutes. Add the malagkit or the glutinous rice. Stirring constantly.
- Then add about 1 liter of beef tripe broth. Put in chicken bouillon cube.
- Bring to boil until malagkit is cooked, stirring frequently, and scraping the ingredients at the bottom of the pan.
- Taste and season with fish sauce, ground pepper, and salt.
- Garnish with eggs, spring onion, leeks, toasted garlic.