Swedish Meatballs Recipe
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- ½ cup minced onion
- 1½ pounds ground beef or veal
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon concentrated meat extract
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- ⅔ cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablepoons flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- Soak bread crumbs in milk until softened.
- Add onion to 1 tablespoon butter in small saucepan and cook slowly 3 minutes.
- Mix softened bread, cooked onion and meat.
- Add eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and paprika.
- Mix thoroughly until very smooth and light.
- Shape meat into small balls, dusting the hands with flour while shaping the balls.
- Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in large frying pan.
- Add meat balls and fry until golden brown all over.
- Remove from pan and add meat extract and 3 tablespoons flour.
- Stir untl well blended.
- Add water and a few grains of pepper.
- Cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Reduce heat very low and cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream, a rounded tablespoon at a time, stirring until thoroughly blended after each addition of sour cream.
- Return meat balls to gravy, cover pan and simer very gently 10 minutes.
- Serve in deep casserole.
- Sprinkle with minced parsley.