- 2 cans unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ cup cane sugar (or substitute brown sugar)
- 2½ cups sweetened coconut, lightly toasted (plus extra for garnish)
- 1 vanilla bean (or 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract)
- Add the coconut milk and cane sugar to a pot and warm over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and scrape the seeds out with the dull edge of a knife. Add the seeds and bean to the coconut milk. Stir in the toasted coconut and set aside to cool.
- Once cool, place in the fridge until it is very cold.
- Process in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturers directions.
- Serve in cones or bowls and top with lightly toasted coconut.
To toast the coconut, place it in a large pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Keep a close eye on it, it can burn very quickly.
Recipe Source here