- 8 eggs, separate egg whites
- 1¼ cups granulated sugar
- ¾ cup liquid vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ¼ tsp. pandan extract
- 1 cup Self-rising flour
- ½ tsp. cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, combine coconut milkÂ and pandan extract. Add the ¼ tsp. of pandan paste (or ¼ tsp. green food coloring) to mixture if using (using the pandan paste or green food coloring is optional). Set aside.
- With an electric mixer OR by hand, beat the egg yolks, sugar, vegetable oil and vanilla until well combined. Beat in coconut milk/pandan extract mixture.
- Sift the Self-rising flour three times into a large bowl. Make a well in the center of sifted dry ingredients, and whisk egg mixture into the flour mixture.
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until firm peaks form. Fold the beaten egg whites into the flour/egg yolk mixture in two batches using a balloon whisk or rubber spatula.
- Gently pour the batter into a 9 or 10-inch (23-25 cm) ungreased tube orangel food cake pan. With a spatula, spread batter to even out top. Bake in preheated 350 degrees F (180 C) oven for 45 minutes or until the cake feels spongy to the touch.
- Remove cake from oven, and carefully invert the pan (upside down) onto a cooling rack. Do not remove cake from pan until completely cooled. Once cake has cooled, run a spatula around the sides and center tube of the pan to release the cake. When you are ready to slice the cake, use a thin sharp knife with serrated blade, and cut with a “sawing” action opposed to slicing through the cake.
- If desired, dust top of cake with confectioners’ sugar, and serve withwhipped cream and fresh fruit.
- Store cake at room temperature (covered with foil or plastic wrap, or cover with a glass cake dome) for up to 3 days.
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More