Calamansi Chicken Recipe
- 3 pcs chicken breast fillet
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 pcs egg whites
- 1 tbsp cooking wine
- 4 tbsp cornflour
- Cooking oil for frying
- Shredded iceberg lettuce to serve
- Calamansi sauce:
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 10 pcs calamansi juiced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup light chicken stock or water
- 1 small carrot finely sliced
- 2 sprigs of spring onions finely sliced
- 2 tsps cornstarch mixed into 2 tbsps of cold water
- Toss chicken with the soy sauce and cooking wine and set aside for a few minutes. Lightly whip the egg whites until just frothy then whisk through the cornflour.
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan.
- Dip the chicken into the batter and shake off excess.
- Fry the chicken pieces for around six minutes, turning after three minutes, until lightly brown all over. Drain excess oil.
- For the sauce
- Bring the sugar, vinegar, calamansi juice, salt and stock to a boil in a small saucepan or clean wok.
- Add the carrot and spring onion and toss until the vegetables are softened.
- Stir in the cornstarch mixture and cook for about one minute until thickened.
- Slice the chicken and arrange it on top of the shredded lettuce.
- Pour the sauce over that and serve.