Kutsinta (Brown Rice Cake) Recipe
- 400 grms tapioca flour or cassava starch
- ½ kg plain flour
- 1 kg brown sugar
- 1900 ml water
- 30 ml lye water
- orange food color
- grated coconut
- In a large and deep casserole or kettle or container, mix all the dry ingredients – plain flour, tapioca flour and brown sugar. Add in water and mix thoroughly until dry ingredients have basically dissolved into the water and a thick homogenous mixture is attained.
- Using a fine colander let the mixture pass the fine sieve. Strain properly to ensure a smooth mixture. You can press the soft lump to allow passing it into the fine colander. Continue doing this for the rest of the mixture until a smoother mixture is collected.
- Add in lye water into the mixture and stir properly until it becomes yellowish in color. Add in orange food color and continue stirring until it is evenly blended.
- The next step is to prepare the molds or small containers. Fill the cups with the mixture to about ¾ full. Arrange them properly in batches in the upper layers of the steamer.
- Heat the water in the steamer until it is briskly boiling. Mount the upper layers and steam for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the “kutsinta” have cooked through.
- Take the “kutsinta” from the steamer and allow cooling. Meanwhile continue with the succeeding batches. Continue cooking until all the mixture is consumed.
- Remove the cooked “kutsinta” from the molds and arrange them in serving plates. Top them with grated coconut and serve.