Pancit Malabon Recipe
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small garlic clove minced
- 1 ½ cups shrimp juice or shrimp bouillon + 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon powdered achuete dissolved in ½ cup warm water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 pound thick tubular rice noodle soaked in warm water for 15 minutes
- 1 cup chopped Napa cabbage boiled for 30 seconds and drained
- 1 cup small shrimp peeled and de-veined
- 1 cup shucked oysters simmered with their liquor for 3 minutes
- 1 cup squid cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup flaked smoked tinapa or trout
- ½ cup crushed fried pork rind chicharon
- 3 cloves fried garlic
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 2 lemons cut into small wedges
- Prepare the squid. Sautée in 1 tablespoon of oil for 3-5 minutes
- Boil the shrimp for 3 minutes until pink
- Put the cabbage in boiling water for 30 seconds and then drain.
- Soak noddles in warm water for 15 minutes
- Put noodles in boiling water for 10 minutes or until it softens but still tender.
- Make the sauce. In a medium sauce pan, sautee the garlic until lightly brown on medium heat. Dissolve the flour in shrimp juice in a separate cup and pour slowly into the pan. Pour the water with dissolved achuete. Add the salt, pepper and fish sauce. Stir continuously until it thickens, about 8 minutes. To test for thickness, dip a spoon into the sauce and if it coats the back of the spoon, that should be thick enough.
- Organize your prepared ingredients and garnishes. Assemble on plate per serving, just like in the first image above.
- Alternatively, you may combine everything in a big container. Mix the sauce, noddles and 1/2 of the prepared ingredients (shrimp, oyster, cabbage, tinapa, squid, toasted garlic, green onion, chicharon). The rest of the ingredient are for garnishing on top.
Recipe Source: qwek qwek