3. Potato Salad
Next in our list is something similar to our previous one (egg salad). With the addition of potato, a new salad dish is created.
Potato salad is made from boiled potatoes and several other ingredients. Commonly, this kind of salad is used as side dish, which accompanies main dishes. Why should we consume such dish? If you have clicked our second recipe in this series, egg salad, maybe you have known its possible nutritional contents. Now, with the addition of potato in it, wouldn’t it be more health-friendly? Do you know that potatoes contain carbohydrate, potassium and energy that you need to be at your best performance? These tubers are packed with energy! They even contain more potassium than that in a banana! A wellness site indicates that one single baked potato (with the skin on) can deliver more than 1,000 mg of potassium. Such amount is more than twice what a single banana has! Now that is something really.
Our recipe here is again an easy one. It is about mixing. Others opt not to add eggs. It will be according to your preference. When using small potatoes, you can cook them whole. You will use large ones in this recipe so we advise cutting them in half for easy cooking. But you can also cook them whole to maintain more of the flavor and natural sweetness. No matter what you prefer, do not forget to add salt. Salting can make the flavor comes out more.
Do you know that potato salad is widely believed to have originated from Germany? American-style potato salad most likely originated from recipes brought to the USA by German and European settlers. How do these salad recipes differ? The American-style one is served cold or at room temperature. German-style potato salad is generally served warm and typically made with vinegar or olive oil, herb, and bacon. In the Philippines, potato salad is commonly served in American style.
Try this recipe here and give us feedback. Enjoy!
- 6 large potatoes
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard (or yellow mustard)
- 2 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 2 raw eggs
- ½ cup celery chopped
- ½ cup green onions chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch paprika (optional)
- Peel the potatoes, and them cut them in half (you can leave the skins on if you wish). Place them in a pot of boiling water and boil for about 17 minutes or until a fork penetrates through fairly easily. Do not make them too mushy. In the mean time, boil the eggs in separate pot.
- Allow the eggs and potatoes to cool completely. You can set aside them in the fridge to cool them down faster.
- When they are cool, slice the potatoes into bite size pieces. Peel and dice the hard boiled eggs.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, pickle relish, mustard, salt and pepper. Mix them until well combined.
- Add in the potatoes, celery, and a pinch of paprika. Mix until well incorporated. Adjust the seasoning according to taste. Set aside in a fridge to chill for about 2 hours or so.
- Serve the potato salad with your favorite main dish and enjoy!
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More