Green mangoes! Who will not be tempted with this fruit?! In and out of season, many of us will be craving for these fruits. Can you remember when your officemate tried showing pictures (just pictures!) of green mangoes and everyone just wanted to have it at that very moment? Yeah. I know the feeling. You feel like hitting that person for making you salivate over GREEN MANGOES. Memories.
What is it in mangoes that they can make us feel that way? Aside from being our national fruit, our mangoes are superb. Foreigners coming to the Philippines love our mangoes. I specifically remember one time when we hosted a group of foreigners. We ate at a certain restaurant offering mango shake. At once, they said that they want it. Our mango really tastes different. And they are really nutritious. Mango fruits are rich in prebiotic dietary fiber, vitamins, minerals, and polyphenolic flavonoid antioxidant compounds. They are also an excellent source of vitamin A and flavonoids, such as carotene. Fresh mango is also a good source of potassium.
Going back to our green mango recipe, this one is very common in Thailand. Crunchy, fresh, nutty, healthy. This salad will awaken your tastebud. With a mixture of texture, such kind of salad is one of the best. In this recipe, we will use dried chili pork. But you can also add other ingredients, such as tofu or even shrimp. You can make this salad readily available by preparing mangoes in advance. You can grate the mango ahead of time and place it in a covered container in the refrigerator. So when you feel like having a mango salad, you can just open your refrigerator and prepare the dressing. Then toast them together for a lovely, healthy dish. Yum!
- 3 ½ cups green mango strips, peeled
- 2 tbsp. calamansi juice mixed with 2 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. corn oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- ½ cup minced onions
- 1 cup minced dried chili pork
- 2 tsp. patis
- 2 tbsp. fried peanuts, chopped.
- 2tbsp. white sugar
- 1-2 pcs. siling labuyo, sliced diagonally lettuce leaves to line servingplatter.
- Soak mango strips in calamansi juice for 5 minutes in refrigerator.
- Drain well and put back in refrigerator.
- In a frying pan, heat soma oil. Saute garlic. Add onions and cook until wilted.
- Add chili pork, patis, sugar, peanuts and siling labuyo, Mix well.
- Saute for 3 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- When ready for serving, combine the mangoes and sauted mixture in a bowl
- Line a serving platter with lettuce leaves. Put mango salad on it..