Top 20+ Recipes for Semana Santa
Suman Sa Lihiya Recipe
- 3 cups Glutinous Rice
- 1 tablespoon Lye water
- Sugar, for dipping
- Grated Coconut, for dipping
- Banana leaves, prepped for wrapping
- Cotton or any food-safe Twine, for tying
- Wash the glutinous rice flour once, then soak in water. Make sure the rice is fully submerged. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Prep the banana leaves for wrapping
- Strain the water thoroughly, then add the lye water. The rice should turn yellowish.
- Measure ½ cup of rice and put on banana leaves. Fold all ends in tightly to make an approximately 3 x 1½ inch pillow, set aside.
- With the folded sides inwards, tie together 2 pieces, like pictured.
- Set on a big pot and cover with water, bring to a boil and turn the heat down to simmer for at least 3 hours and check for doneness.
- Open one pair and see if the suman is soft and fully cooked. If not, tie it back and return to boil.
- Check every ½ hour or so for doneness.
- When done, serve with sugar mixed with grated coconut.
Panlasang Pinoy Recipes™ is a food blog that compiles delicious and easy to prepare recipes from various sources around the web. We claim no credit for any images, recipes and videos featured on this blog unless otherwise noted. Read More